Jenkins Martial Arts
We believe Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu shows you how with mindful, deliberate instruction mixed with patience, persistence and perseverance can build character not only for this martial art but it also benefits you in other ways.
- As a sport and recreation that builds social and community associations.
- As a terrific lifestyle of fitness, training with others who share the same mindset.
- As an effective, proven system of personal defense that provides you with physical confidence but also an overall feeling of well-being.
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu has value for people:
- With various levels of athletic attributes and abilities.
- Who vary in sizes and shapes.
- Who wants a chance to improve their fitness despite their present level.
What really sets Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu apart from other martial arts?
Most people know very little about martial arts in general and it’s quite common to lump Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and all other martial arts together. There are many ways martial artist like to distinguish themselves from others-Some useful and others less so. But, one way I find it useful is by contrasting how each style ultimately achieve their goals. I’ll divide these forms of combat into striking and grappling.
Striking Martial Arts:
Karate, Kung-Fu, Kick-boxing, Muay-Thai, Sanda/San Shou, Boxing.
The sport of striking martial arts is to score more points by hitting, punching, kneeing or kicking an opponent more than they do it to you. The ultimate win comes when, with blunt trauma, you knock an opponent out so they are unable to continue. In contrast the basic aim in a grappling competition is quite different.
Grappling Martial Arts:
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Wresting, Submission Wrestling, Russian Sambo
In a grappling competition the aim is to make an opponent unable or unwilling to continue the contest. This is done by utilizing throws/takedowns, sweeps and pins, as well as various joint locks of the arms, legs and many others. Also included are chokes which may cause an opponent to quit or lose consciousness.
However you choose to pick a martial arts to participate in: armed or unarmed, striking or grappling mostly depends on personality and outlook. What I conclude if somewhat biased, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu encompasses most reasons to train martial arts.